Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

Honesty time.

I admit it. I was a little nervous about coming to Belgium because I heard it was "boring" and "full of Eurocrats" (whatever that means). So it's chilled out, I rationalized. Grown up. I can deal with that after living for a year in a city full of 20-year-olds wearing stiletto heels and a pound of makeup. And I merrily went about my business.

But I was really taken aback when someone said to me the other day: "You are from Florida? Why, in the name of God, did you decide to come here?"

So, it's not just a Polish thing! (I heard that all the time.) It's a European thing. And it wasn't even raining.

I'm not exactly out on the street singing "Proud to be an American" at the top of my lungs, since it's not that nice living in suburban Florida, but really! Come on, Europeans. Have some pride.

I am not going to cop out and say that I like Belgium because it's close to other cities that are cool (i.e. it is not cool in itself). Check out these pictures of Ghent, where I went the other day:
















See? Belgium is pretty. And the people are nice! Within 30 seconds of me or one of my friends opening a map, someone always comes up to us and says "OK, let me help you" and then sometimes even shows us the way.

Today, the weather is fine, not a cloud in the sky, and I am going to a barbecue.

Yeah, pretty bad...

5 comments:

KatieB said...

Thank you for the fact I'll be singing god bless the USA the rest of the day.

See you in Belgium soon, assuming I can make sure the UK will let me back in. I hate that our lives are run by immigration officials.

katy said...

true. "where i at least i know I'm free" only applies stateside. i'm in the same situation until i get my residence permit, hopefully sometime around july....

davidmunizbr said...

Hey Katy,

I agree with you, but you must admit that the fact that you're a girl helps a lot when asking directions, huh? ;-)

pinolona said...

It's not so much that people are willing to help you, it's the motivation. If someone comes up to you anywhere in Italy or France and asks if you want help with directions, chances are it's a sleazy guy trying to hit on you. Once in New York I almost offended a woman who actually genuinely did want to help me find my way around... :)

Nano said...

Oh Katy, I understand you! They also come to me here in Wroclaw and say:

"You are from marvellous Brazil! What are you doing here?".

And then I have same answer for them: "Come on!! It's nice here!"

:P