Tuesday, June 23, 2009

independence

It's really weird to think about this time last year... I was sitting on a plane taking off from Chicago, watching the independence day fireworks go off over the city. Poland? Umm....why not? The crazy ecstatic feeling of being free from responsibility faded as soon as I settled in to my corporate job, but somehow, I am still here. It's getting to the point where my friends stateside are asking me half-jokingly, "are you never coming back?"

So, a week early, before the next independence day I'll miss out on, here's to you, America: in no particular order, the top 10 things that still bring a tear to my eye even after getting stockholm syndrome in Europe.


Cuban sandwiches from the Black Bean Deli. This is the first thing I eat anytime I return from abroad. Grilled to perfection, spicy mustard slathered on top, just the way Fidel likes it.

My white VW beetle. Her name is Daisy and she turns on a dime.

Dunkin Donuts coffee.
I remember days in college when my roommate and I would make bets about who would drive for an hour just to get a cup. Yes, it’s that good.

Trader Joe’s. The best grocery store known to man.

St Augustine beach. For most of my childhood and adult life, I went there every July with my family, my childhood friends from Atlanta, and a giant, loud, fantastic clan of Cubans. I wish I could be on the gazebo near the water, drinking goombay smashes and watching the dolphins a few dozen feet away jump out of the water.

Clothes dryers and 24 hour stores.
Inconvenience is part of the daily routine when your duvet cover is still wet after washing it two days ago and the grocery store closes at 6.

Texas
sized pitchers of margaritas.
Split with friends of course…

Wearing my PJs in public.
Well, truth be told, I have started doing this anyway. But I'm the only one.

Fresh fruit.
And when I say fresh, I mean: oranges, limes, lemons and grapefruit by the crateful from my uncle’s citrus groves, and the tangerines and oranges my Mom catches as they drop off the trees in our backyard. She juices them or makes them into orange cake with glazed frosting.

Bubba.
‘Nuff said.

Next week: the things America can keep for all I care.

6 comments:

KatieB said...

In two days time, I will be enjoying a very large, very delicious, iced coffee from DDs. :)

KatieB said...

Then a margarita.

KatieB said...

Then I'm going to wash and dry my clothes, even if they aren't dirty.

KatieB said...

And maybe to top it off, go to walmart in the middle of the night just to rub it in your face. :) love you!!

katy said...

You bastard! Just for that, now you have to bring me a caramel iced coffee to go across the ocean (and channel) when you get back. I love you too - Say hi to the big apple for me.

(But I don't miss WalMart! You're on your own with that one haha)

katy said...

PS. Notice I said "things" not "people" --- please don't get offended if you are one of the numerous friends or family who I most dearly miss. :)