Monday, August 17, 2009

Illegal!

This post is for all of you back home who imagine my life on the continent as a carefree blur of sitting in cafes looking European, smoking cigarettes with a gold cigarette holder, spending a few hours pretending to work, drinking some wine, reading some Sartre, eating some stinky cheese, and then treating myself to some Belgian beer to celebrate a long day of work accomplished.

Well. I have some news for you.
So, I've now officially been an illegal immigrant in Belgium for a full week. (I feel for you, Elian.)

It's not that I dislike living on the edge - in fact, I love it! Just ask those of you in the know about my semi-legal status in Poland. But this time, I am not illegal by choice and convenience. I am illegal because the Antwerp registration office has lost all of my paperwork not once, but twice.

Here's the deal for newbies to the Alice-in-Wonderland rabbit hole that is European immigration policy. Everyone gets a three month visa when they arrive, which is supposed to be plenty of time to get a residence card. This card is important because it allows you to travel outside of the country (the visas are single entry).

I applied for the card within hours of my arrival on May 11th. The registration office assures me that "it's normal" that my paperwork was lost and that I will have to wait until October to be registered because "we are on vacation."

Unfortunately, I can't use my normal tactics from America to get what I want - that is, asking to speak to the manager and yelling at someone until I get free stuff. (Customer service, baby.)

So, I'm trying to be creative with some alternative solutions. Any other bright ideas y'all can think of?

- Kidnap the mean registration lady's bicycle (Belgians LOVE bicycles). Cut out magazine letters and make a ransom note. Price for return: one registration card.
- Call them using a disguised voice machine and tell them "Mijn noncle Salvatore langskommen met en paar zware jongens" if they don't give me my card.
- Call up my BFF Jean Claude, better known as "The muscles from Brussels", to show 'em what's up. It might involve a roundhouse kick to the face, but that's just guessin'.

4 comments:

Rudy Clauzon said...

haha that post was hilarious!!

I can't believe they've lost your papers twice. They're pushing it, really!

They're on vacation until October, I'm not really surprised. Hence my non-attempt at getting further into the process haha Technically I've been here illegally (according to Belgian law) for the past 2 months (and counting) (but I'm legal in other parts of Europe so it's ok haha)

Just keep a couple of 50s in your pocket, in case you encounter a cop ;)

oh, and by the way, I'm sorry that you have to be an illegal now. Not cool if you want to travel around. Really. I don't think anything's gonna happen but still, it kinda sucks (makes for a nice story though!)

Nano said...

Katy, I've been illegal in Poland also (just for awhile). So I really know how it feels. Living on the razors edge! :)

Tim said...

I'd just call the police and ask them to make things right again..

katy said...

Update! My local police lady felt sorry for me and harassed the registration people on my behalf. I might have it in about two months! (If they don't lose it again between now and October)

Someone's getting an anonymous bouquet of donuts :)