Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sitting in a park in Paris, France...

I came home from a day of frustration the other day, and decided to have a nostalgic moment. I started listening to songs written by expat folk singers in Europe, like Joni Mitchell and James Taylor, singing of their states when they were feeling lost in France and Spain. I think the nostalgia is a product of the impending Christmas decorations you already see everywhere, but also of just being out a little too long. And tomorrow I'm going to Paris. I've been in four countries this week, but it's not as exciting as it used to be.

I sing a lot of the time, even often without realizing it, but that doesn't mean I'm not ever homesick. I feel like I have to hide it - I have well-rehearsed scripts to respond to questions, such as why In God's Name I Would Ever Leave A Tropical Paradise. It annoys me when people make assumptions that one place is better to live in than another without having tried it themselves --- but on the other hand, experience hasn't been that much of a guide to me either.

In 5 weeks, I'll be in Florida for the first time in 18 months. That's a hell of a long time to be off your continent. And I'm nervous about the measurements that I will have to make. What has changed? Who has changed? Will I hate it and rush back across Atlantic shores? Or will I relish the anonymity of no longer being the American Girl?

Will you take me as I am?

8 comments:

Fonchy said...

it is always good to go back home, no matter if we'll stay there or not... and also good that we take the time to think where we fit better.

no matter where home is (even on the road ;), right?), it can always contribute to tell us something about ourselves.

hum... i'm getting inspired to write one more post on my blog, hehe :P let me know when u'll come back to our continent ;)

Raf said...

there aren't enough comments on this post yet

Raf said...

but what is enough?

Raf said...

is it four?

Raf said...

five will do

Raf said...

but i like six better

Raf said...

stupid

Tim said...

Eight!