Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How the Saulpaugh girl lost her accent

I feel like a Garcia girl...recently a friend of mine told me that I have "significantly lost my American accent after coming to Belgium." Never mind that I was in Poland for a year before that. Even at work, the Canadians I hear on the phone confuse me with an Austrian girl on our team (she's a far cry from the Governator of California, but still!).

Is it a good thing or bad thing that I now seem to be fluent in "International European English"? It's already become second nature to avoid obscure idioms and slang, mostly out of sheer laziness, but does that have the effect of making me a lazier thinker overall? And as a former coworker once told me, does living as an English speaking expat strip you of your personality until you fluently speak the local language? As someone who will soon make making a living as an in-house writer, I've gotta think about it.

When I first went to Poland, I made myself a list of common mistakes that, no matter how long I stayed abroad, I would not make. This mission has already failed, but nonetheless, here they are, in all their grammar Nazi glory:


1. Saying "Make the picture" instead of "take the picture". Once, I even said I was going to "make the bus tickets" in front of my translator friend. Man that was embarrassing.

2. Forgetting articles such as "the" "and" & "a". This one only happened in Poland, where they don't use articles. Flemish has articles, so they seem to do better with it here.

3. Saying "How it is in English?" instead of "How do you say it in English?" or "What it is in English?"

4. One for Belgium: directly translating the word abonnement to "subscription." If you go to the gym, it's a membership. If it's an event for work or a class, you sign up. If it's a yearly train or bus ticket, it's a pass.

5. Incorrect use of "does": "What he does?" instead of "What does he do?"

6. Answering "fine" to "What's up?" or "Nothing" to "How's it going?". Actually, I was guilty of this one in the US, too... mostly based on being an overall awkward person.

7. Saying prepositions like "on" at the wrong times, like "I was on the party" instead of "at". Prepositions are so hard to learn in a language that's not your own, so I will cut everyone some slack. In other words, please don't ask me the correct ones in French...

8. Saying "kitchen" instead of "cuisine", and other borrowed words. In English, it sounds fancy to say cuisine in terms of type of food. Kitchen is the room in your house.

9. Confusing "funny" and "fun" and "bored" and "boring"

10. Saying "take" a beer or meal instead of "have" a beer. This one is my all time favorite since it suggests that my friends are asking me to go around stealing beer from the tap at pubs.


So, who wants to go take a beer tonight?
No, not from my fridge.

7 comments:

pinolona said...

haha I'm sorry about that... I do the subscription one quite a lot to be fair. And sometimes I give up and say 'abonament' - not even the French version.

There's also US-UK misunderstandings, like when my Mum offered an American guest more coffee and he said 'I'm good'. She didn't know whether it was a yes or a no...

We make party here in Brussels, we take some beers, in Brussels there is party!

Invidu said...

wow, and I thought this only happens to non-natives. I can say that for almost three years in Poland I managed to fight most of your list item, except maybe for "how is it in...". Oh, and there is another one for your list - "when" instead of "if" (and German speakers have it, too). The thing is you're always taken for a dork if you speak correctly while the rest don't. After all, normality=majority and the scary part is that English is more widely spoken as a non-native language, than native. But come on, languages are only instruments which change to accommodate our needs and comfort.

Raf said...

English is really difficult language! I think we should all watch lots of South Park episodes to get a deeper understanding of this beautiful language, and additionaly learn how we can express ourselves in a much better fashion. I broke the dam.

katy said...

when is the next party being made in Bxl, Pino? I need to go to the Polish embassy on Thursday which I think is right around the corner from you, no?

For the record, South Park is a way better English teacher than CNN. Or BBC for that matter. Nobody really talks like that! And Tim, are you Tim or "Tim"?

And Invid, yeah languages are instruments, but I just wanna make sure mine is in tune. If that makes me a dork, so be it :)

Raf said...

Nobody knows anymore. Yes, it's getting embarrassing. I'm going to solve things soon and all will become clear inside my head.

Tim said...

Somebody's abusing my name and picture...

Fonchy said...

the last point made me remember an article i read in a local newspaper... so i translated it for u

http://fonchobaggins.blogspot.com/2010/03/ironias-del-lenguaje-ironies-of.html

just to illustrate a bit more that las point :P